But wait, let's backtrack for a minute. Lindsey and I (Lindsey) have agreed that we need to add a little more scifi-fantasy spice to our co-author friendship, so...from this point forward, our Fridays, for the most part, will be designated as Team Lindsey's #SFFFriday(s). For our first ever #SFFFriday, please keep in mind that ...
WINTER IS COMING!
Okay...no, winter isn't actually coming. Duh, we're pretty much on the cusp of spring, but...those in the know know that Game of Thrones is returning in TWO DAYS!!! In preparation, we spent the entire day watching season one of the uber epic HBO series. And...we're not going to watch the season three premier until next Friday--almost a week after the first ep of season three airs--after we've rewatched all of season two.
Yes, as scary as it sounds, we're completely serious. And just because we love to see Joffery getting his face smacked (sorry Jack Gleeson...we understand that, in real life, you're a very nice person, but...), here's a bonus...
So, after watching the first season in its entirety, here are a few of our conclusions, we'd like to share a few of our conclusions, questions, anticipations, and generally spoilery kinds of thoughts. Beware all ye who read beyond this point, SPOILERS may abound...
Characters whose scenes we most enjoy (during GOT season one):
1. Daenerys (book or show, either way, we love her!)
2. Arya (she's snarky, a little badass, and totally hilarious...what's not to love?)
3. Jon Snow (need we say more?)
4. Anything with the Hound
Characters who we want to beat the crap out of (during GOT season one):
2. Theon (even before he goes bad, he's just...arrgghghghghgh!)
3. Cercei (though Lena Headey does an amazing job with her)
4. Little Finger (really, dude? REALLY?)
5. Sansa (but only in episodes 1-9...in episode 10, we do a 180 and LOVE her)
Things we love about the show/storyline:
1. OMG could Benioff/Weiss/writers possibly pick better episode ending scenes? Ned's beheading followed by Daenerys emerging from the ashes with her dragons...we are in awe.
2. The casting. Amazing. Perfect. Glorious. Again, we are in awe.
3. This is, in our opinion, the absolutely best example of a scifi/fantasy book series being transformed into a serial television show. (LF note: Children of Dune was good, but nowhere near GOT)
4. Khal Drogo...and John Snow...sigh...tear. At least we still have John Snow.
5. Lack of unnecessary CG. Yeah, it's becoming shockingly rare in SF/F shows and movies. CG white walkers, sure...CG baby dragons, yeah, that makes sense...awesomely beautiful settings that are filmed in real, awesomely beautiful places...priceless.
Questions we have:
1. What does Varys want, really?
2. Sansa + The Hound...hmmm?
3. Does Syrio die...and (gasp) might he be the previous incarnation of a certain faceless man we all know and love?
5. How much time has passed since the beginning?
Next Friday we will be rewatching season two of GOT and tweeting using #SFFFriday to mark our various"Oh!" "Ah!" "Oh no!" and "Ah ha!" moments. We'd love to see any of our fabulous readers there. And can we just add that we are so, so, SO excited about season three--especially after having read the books--that we can't help but giggle.
Thus concludes our first #SFFFriday. Happy Game of Thrones Sunday to all...we hope the GOT Bunny visits you, but make sure it's not a white walker!
Otherwise...burn that bun bun!